Il-2 is May 9, 1975 in commemoration of combat and valor of citizens during the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45.
During the war, in Samara (former Kuibyshev) in the plant number 18 was issued more than 15,000 Il-2, and therefore the installation of the monument to the famous attack aircraft in the city, did so much for the victory seemed quite obvious. Difficulties appeared that the Russian tradition, there was not a single instance of a attack aircraft.
In the autumn of 1970 in the swamps of the Murmansk region it was detected the aircraft with the number 1872932, suitable for recovery. The plane was shot down in March 1943, the pilot Kotlyaev K., E. Mukhin gunner.
Initially, after the restoration of the aircraft it was established at the entrance of the plant, but by May 9, 1975, the 30th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War, the monument was opened at the new location.