HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Re: Power plant (Read 20183 times)
Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:24am

Mane   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi there

I work as diesel mechanic, but on the side I study different types of engines. I mostly follow the bigger engines of the WW2, expecialy the V-12 diesel of the
T-34 and KV-1 tanks. I am sure that I know almoust every WW2 tank and prime mover engine. So with my interests came airplane engines, and I have one question abbout that. We all know that gas engines develop more temperature then diesel engines and that airplane motors are under constant pressure. So how is their cooling system working? I always imagine that they have a huge radiators and oil coolers. But every of those airplanes lookes like they have no rad neither oil cooler. Where they would it be on airplane? Are they hiding it somewhere?

I would be very grateful if you can show me some drawings or pictures that would explain their cooling method.

Thanks

Mane Mirich

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:28am

sokolon   Offline
јту их, ату!

Quote:
I work as diesel mechanic

Acclaim.

Quote:
the V-12 diesel of the T-34 and KV-1 tanks

Primarily this engine family developed as multipurpose role, including civilian and military aviations Wink

Quote:
We all know that gas engines develop more temperature then diesel engines

Why, sure.

Quote:
So how is their cooling system working?

Schematic structural diagram typical cooling system piston aircraft engine is similar to vehicular analogs (in the first instance race car!), configurations-corrected, of course.
Quote:
I always imagine that they have a huge radiators and oil coolers

http://www.airpages.ru/img/forum/897909e8de82_2.jpg # -- U-air-oil cooler (below), aircraft La-9, engine Ash-82FN (direct injection gasoline).

http://www.airpages.ru/img/forum/d128d5d003d4_2.jpg# -- O- air-oil cooler (semisectional view, cooler in armored aerodynamic deflector).

Liquid cooled engine – liqued cooler positioned below engine in aerodynamic tunnel (with regulation deflector for limited airflow at power mode and/or speed), for example Hawker Tempest, or bomber (in engine nacelle, below or to the rearward of engine). Once – in center wing section, in cowlings or tunnel, illustration – P-51 aka Mustang Wink. Rarely occurring design – in ahead of the wing.

Quote:
I would be very grateful if you can show me some drawings or pictures that
would explain their cooling method.

spitfireperformance.com/ -- this very practicable information. Schematic drawing and descriptions – see an article or boock…
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2012 at 8:41pm by Forum Admin »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print